2012 Hy-Vee 5150 U.S. Championship Qualifying
- “5150 Qualifying” means qualification to the 2012 Hy-Vee 5150 U.S. Championship held in Des Moines, Iowa on September 2, 2012.
- “Races” means 5150series international distance events and designated Ironman 70.3 branded and licensed events worldwide that are authorized by the World Triathlon Corporation.
- “Qualifying Period” means the period between August 13, 2011 and August 6, 2012.
- “5150 Pro Rankings” (5150 PR) means the ranking system to determine pro athlete eligibility for a slot to compete at the 2012 Hy-Vee 5150 U.S. Championship.
- Beginning with 5150 Bela Bela on August 13, 2011, professional athletes will earn points for the 2012 Hy-Vee 5150 U.S. Championship qualifying correlating to their finish position.
- The top 25 male and top 25 female pros in the 5150 PR at the end of Qualifying Period will qualify to race in the 2012 Hy-Vee 5150 U.S. Championship.
5150 PR scoring
- An athlete’s FIVE highest scoring Races will count toward their 5150 PR.
- Athletes may accumulate points from any Races during the qualifying period.
- Each athlete must complete and score at least ONE 5150 series event during the qualifying period.
- The combination may include up to TWO of the designated Ironman 70.3 Series events during the Qualifying period.
- Athletes finishing the 2011 Hy-Vee 5150 U.S. Championship will be awarded points that are retained and carried forward to the 2012 qualifying period and can be included as one of the athlete’s scoring races in the following year’s scoring.
- Scoring points at the 2011 Hy-Vee 5150 U.S. Championship DOES NOT fulfill the requirement that each athlete complete ONE 5150 Series event during the qualifying period.
- All points scored in the 2011qualifying period may not carry forward to the following qualifying year.
- The top 20 male and top 20 female pros in the 5150 PR as of July 9, 2012 (July Qualifiers) will be qualified to race in the 2012 Hy-Vee 5150 U.S. Championship.
- The July Qualifiers are assured of a slot provided they enter the event according to registration procedures. Any slots not claimed will roll down to next highest qualifier.
- Once a slot has been declined, there will not be an opportunity to get that slot back. If you decline, you are out!
- Ties resulting in more than 20 male or 20 female July Qualifiers will be broken by the Tiebreakers.
- The next highest scoring 5 male and 5 female pros in the 5150 PR, not including the July Qualifiers, as of August 6, 2012 will claim the remaining 10 qualifying slots to race in the 2011 Hy-Vee 5150 U.S. Championship.
- No more than 5 male and 5 female pros may be August Qualifiers.
- Ties resulting in more than 5 male or 3 female August Qualifiers will be broken by the Tiebreakers.
Ties will be broken as follows:
- 1st Tiebreaker – The athlete’s highest scoring race
- 2nd Tiebreaker – The athlete’s second highest scoring race
- 3rd Tiebreaker – The athlete’s third highest scoring race
- In the event that two or more athletes remain tied after the 3rd tiebreaker, all tied athletes will qualify.
Final Entry & Roll-Down
- The final 5150 PR will be published as soon as possible after the last Race of the Qualifying Period (National Harbor 70.3) but not later than August 6, 2012(need date).
- Qualified athletes will have until August 12, 2012 to complete required registration for the 2012 Hy-Vee 5150 U.S. Championship. A roll-down will be held for any unclaimed slots with entries rolling down to the next highest ranked athlete.
Automatic/ Invitation Qualifiers
- The 2011 Hy-Vee Champions, 2011 Ironman World Champions, and 2011 Ironman 70.3 World Champions will receive an automatic invitation to the 2012 event, provided they validate their slot by completing and scoring in at least ONE 5150 Series event during the qualifying period (excluding the 2011 Hy-Vee event.)
- Hy-Vee and WTC retain the right to invite a limited number of athletes to compete in the 2012 Hy-Vee 5150 U.S. Championship.
A full list of the qualifying schedule and points can be found on the Professional website: http://ironmanpromembership.com/hy-vee-5150-qualifying/