WTC Announces Qualification and Prize Distribution Details for 5150 U.S. Championship
November 18, 2010 1:34 pm |
Nov. 18, 2010 (Tampa, Fla.) – Today, 5150 U.S Championship qualification and prize distribution details are available at www.5150.com. The Hy-Vee Triathlon will serve as the 5150 U.S. Championship and is scheduled for Sept. 4, 2011, in Des Moines, Iowa. World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) is producing the new 5150 Triathlon Series; Bill Burke will serve as the managing director of the global series with Philip LaHaye in the role of director of operations for U.S.-based events. Registration for all 5150 events will open on Wednesday, Dec. 1.
Professional athletes who qualify for and compete in the 5150 U.S. Championship are eligible for more than $1.1 million in prize money. Athletes interested in competing in the championship event should visit www.5150.com for a comprehensive breakdown of the professional qualification policy, rules and prize purse distribution.
Additionally, top finishers in amateur categories will qualify for the 5150 U.S. Championship and will be eligible for $120,000-plus worth of prizes and product including a Ford vehicle to the overall Open Amateur champions. More information on the amateur qualification policy, to include a list of categories, rules and prize distribution, is also available on www.5150.com.
Consisting of a 1.5K swim, 40K bike and 10K run, the 2011 5150 Triathlon Series will be the largest international distance triathlon series in the world and will be the first non-drafting international race series of its kind, offering a competitive platform for professional and age group athletes alike. In its first year, 5150 will offer 13 events in the U.S. as well as a handful of international races.
2011 5150 Triathlon Series (United States)
- March 20—Miami International Triathlon (Miami, Fla.)
- May 1—St. Anthony’s Triathlon (St. Petersburg, Fla.)
- May 15—5150 New Orleans (New Orleans, La.)
- May 22—Memphis in May Triathlon (Tunica, Miss.)
- June 19—Washington D.C. Triathlon (Washington, D.C.)
- June 25—5150 Provo (Provo, Utah)
- July 10—Boulder Peak Triathlon (Boulder, Colo.)
- August 7—Nautica New York City Triathlon (New York, N.Y.)
- September 4—Hy-Vee Triathlon/5150 U.S. Championship (Des Moines, Iowa)
- September 11—5150 Lake Lanier (Gainesville, Ga.)
- October 2—5150 Lake Las Vegas (Henderson, Nev.)
- October 23—5150 Galveston (Galveston, Texas)
- November 12—5150 Clearwater/5150 Series Finale (Clearwater, Fla.)
2011 5150 Triathlon Series (International)*
- June 5—5150 Frankfurt (Frankfurt, Germany)
- June 12—5150 Klagenfurt (Klagenfurt, Austria)
- July 9—5150 Zurich (Zurich, Switzerland)
- Additional international events will be announced in the coming weeks.
About World Triathlon Corporation
World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) is a Tampa-based company recognized for athletic excellence, distinguished events and quality products. WTC’s growing portfolio includes the Ironman, Ironman 70.3, 5150, Iron Girl and IronKids brands, which have a combined total of more than 115 events worldwide each year. Supported by partners including Ford, Timex, Foster Grant and PowerBar, Ironman is the No.1 user-based sports brand in the world and has been a respected name in triathlon since its inception in 1978.